Triumph GT6 MKIII Dash

Triumph GT6 MKIII Dash

Sunday 25 January 2015

How things are going... for the project that is.

At this point in time my main idea/theme for my final project would be a form of internet exhibition based on the research I partook in this past summer at Murphys Point Provincial Park as the Gray Ratsnake Technician. I would use information gathered from this study as well as old data and information about the species and the park in order to create a more complete and "full" exhibit.

Of course there are a couple of issues that arise when attempting to cover such a topic. The first is the fact that this project for a digital humanities class. Need not fear, the fact that these snakes are an At Risk species means that they are already well on the radar of human beings, this in turn means human interaction, which in turn means the humanities ties in quite easily. Aspects ranging from "Why have we as human put the snake on the Species at Risk list?" to "what have we as humans done or not done to make this area such a hot spot for Gray Ratsnakes?" Along with that there is also the fact that being a part of nature, the snake and its environment fall under the Natural history side of things which is always entangled with cultural history. Then of course the history of research on the matter at hand can also be looked at, for example, "what was research like on this same species 20, 30, 40 years ago?" and how does that compare to the research I did this past summer. It goes on and on.

We knew snakes could
 swim, just didn't think
they would to the extent
that it would require
a boat...              
While the first issue, I must admit I solved rather quickly, the second issue stands in the sensitivity of the subject, and by that I'm not referring to the fact that snakes aren't the most popular creature in the world, but the fact that some parts of the data collected are not to be publicly revealed as per the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. None the less, I have done presentations on the material so in the long run the majority of the information can be used, as long as info on specific locations are not revealed... so long story short, this blog mostly particular post consists of me jotting my ideas down in order to convince myself that this is what I want to do...

On that note, the site, if constructed in the manner I am thinking of right now, would have your main page featuring general information, and then each sub-page would act like different "wings" or "halls" of a museum, featuring on more specific parts of the subject.


Having worked at the park some difficulties I actually foresee (as opposed to the previous that I was just sorting out) is the fact that a lot of the information I have learned about the park have been through small pamphlets that, if I can recall correctly are short some sources. However, even then, there are small facts that would be subject to that issue, and even then some of it is still good, merely needing to come with a bit of a disclaimer...

And thats where I am, as it stands, I've gathered a fair bit of the information on the subject and so forth at this point in time, now its just a matter of getting it all sorted out and formatted.

No comments:

Post a Comment